COMMIS 1 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES!
Author :chef ssentongo Geoffrey
Blog > who is commis 1, chef?
Here’s The Job Description.
Position Title : commis 1/ Range chef
Reports To: Executive chef or sous chef
The commis 1 chef is responsible to prepare a consistent, high-quality food product, ensure courteous, professional, efficient and flexible service and Hotels operational standards. You will be also responsible for assisting CDP and sous chef in cooking and then ensuring that all stations are clean.
Additionally, He/She is responsible to prepare special meals or substitute items, regulate the temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters etc.
Range Chef / Commis 1 Duties and Responsibilities :
1- As a commis, you are also expected to comply with the conditions of the food Hygienes.
2- Assist management in hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating, counseling, motivating and coaching employees serve as a role model.
3- Accepting store deliveries are also part of the commis 1 chef duties.
4- coordinate and participate with other sections of requirements, cleanliness, wastage and cost control.
5- control food stock and food cost in his section /kitchen.
6 – cook food and prepare top-quality menu items in a timely manner.
7- Communicate assistance needed during busy periods.
8- commis 1 chef are also required to ensure that all stocks are well maintained.
9- Commis 1 also ensure that mise en place for food preparation is completed in your section.
10- Ensure the quality of the food items,and ensure the highest standards and consistent quality in daily preparation and keep up to date with the new products, recipes and preparation techniques.
11- inform chef of excess food items for use in daily specials.
12- inform F&B service staff of available items and available chef special menu.
13- monitor the quality and quantity of food that is prepared. Operat kitchen equipment safely and responsibly.
14- prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist.
15- support the Demi chef de partie or Commis 11 in the daily operation and work
16- Test foods to ensure proper preparation and temperature.
17- Need to be flexible and willing to help others departments at busy times as and when required.
* Great teamwork skills and attention to detail.
* Positive outlook and outgoing personality.
* Able to take responsibility.
* Be customer focus first.
* A person who enjoys working in a lively, fast-paced environment, someone who lives his hobby and is passionate about cooking and food.
* Flexibility to work in any dining autlet is also necessary to assist as the business requires.
* Previous Hospitality and catering industry experience working at a commis 1 chef level in a good-quality restaurant or 5 star hotel.
* One to five years of minimum previous experience required in a high volume kitchen or full-service hotel.
What are the main duties of a commis chef?
* Assisting in the food preparation process.
* Cooking and preparing elements of high-quality dishes.
* preparing vegetables, meats and fish.
* Assisting other chefs.
* Helping with deliveries and restocking.
* Assisting with stock rotation cleaning stations
TO LAND A JOB AS A COMMIS CHEF YOU WILL NEED :
~ Level 1and 2 Food safety awards
~ minimum 6 months relevant experience
~ Awareness of manual handling techniques
~Experience of kitchen equipment
~ Experience of dangerous equipment such as knives
~ Competent level of English spoken and written
~ Awareness of control of substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) and chemical safety.
ALONGSIDE SOME OF THESE MORE GENERAL SKILLS, ALL GOOD COMMIS CHEFS SHOULD PROSSESS :
* Basic knowledge of all sections
* Ability to work under supervision of a limited range
* Ability to produce good quality basic food
* Understanding of basic health and safety
* Understanding of basic food Hygiene practices
* Good aral communication
* Team management skills
* High level of numeracy Enthusiasm to develop your own skills and knowledge plus those around you.
* High level of attention to detail
* Adaptability to change and willingness to embrace new ideas and processes
* Positive and approachable manner
* Team player qualities and ability to work unsupervised and deliver quality work
If you are enthusiastic about self-development and embrace opportunities to improve your skills and knowledge whenever possible, you could build a long and rewarding career as a chef is commis chef if desired.
Don’t underestimate yourself, check out other articles and don’t forget to share and drop your comment, it’s very important to me, thanks.